Monday, September 16, 2013

2012-2013 TV Season Wrap Up (NBC): Close, But Still No Cigar

And now it's time for the final 2012-2013 TV season wrap up, so I can get back on with my life.  This one's about NBC, and they had an interesting season.  It wasn't good, and it wasn't bad, but it still wasn't much.  They had lots of cancellations, and few renewals, but they certainly got some stuff right.  This season also looks promising, so they may finally be rebuilding into something decent.  We'll know in a few weeks.  After looking at my list below, you can never say I don't give NBC a chance to get it right.  I love the NBC of Christmas past, and hope they can get it together for Christmas present and future.

Shows I watched, in the 2012-2013 TV season, on NBC:

Animal Practice
1600 Penn
The New Normal
Guys with Kids
Go On
Hannibal
Deception
Grimm
Parks and Recreation
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Chicago Fire
The Office
Revolution

Animal Practice (Canceled):

I watched every episode of this incredibly dumb show.  It had some bright spots, but it was generally terrible, and fell incredibly flat.  It wasn't fixable, because the whole idea was just so wrong.

1600 Penn (Canceled):

I watched a few episodes of this show, and my initial thought was if they could just drop the annoying kid from the cast, it would work.  Then, I did a little research and found out he created the show.  My bad, and his.  The audience spoke with their eyes, and those eyes looked elsewhere...quickly.

The New Normal (Canceled):

I tried a couple of episodes of this, and couldn't get into it.  The end.

Guys with Kids (Canceled):

I got through a little over half the season on this.  There was nothing overtly wrong with it, but it wasn't that good.  However, I would totally have watched a sitcom featuring Anthony Anderson's family in the show.  Too bad that will never get done.  They were always the best part of the show.

Go On (Canceled):

I thought this show was mostly there by 6 episodes in.  Then, they tweaked it some more.  And tweaked it some more.  And tweeeeaked it some more, and guess what?  They tweaked it some more.  And once they were done with that, they tweaked it more.  But they weren't done tweaking then.  They tweaked it again.  This show is a perfect example of how to ruin a very good show.  I was really disappointed with how the show was handled, and hopefully they won't repeat that on other right there comedies in the future.  I could write a book on what went wrong with the show, but I don't feel like it, so there. :P

Hannibal (Renewed):

Hannibal was THE best new network drama on TV last season.  It wasn't close, either.  I was really disappointed with the complete EMMY snub, but it will eventually get its due recognition.  It can't be ignored forever, because if it's not on NBC after next season, it will be airing somewhere after that.

Deception (Canceled):

Meagan Good wore turtlenecks in this show.  That's all you need to know about how bad it was.  I even tried watching the series finale to find out what happened, and guess what?  IT MADE NO SENSE AT ALL TO SOMEONE WHO QUIT IT EARLY ON.  LOL!

Grimm (Renewed):

I love this show...love it.  This is an incredibly well done show, and if you're not watching it, you're missing out.

Parks and Recreation (Renewed):

Thankfully we get another season of this show.  It's no longer my favorite comedy, since Veep took the top spot, but it's still exceptionally solid.  I loved this season more than the one before this, because it felt more like classic Parks and Recreation episodes.  I'm looking forward to seeing this season, and hope it won't be the last.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (Renewed):

Please make it stop.  PLEASE!

Chicago Fire (Renewed):

Most weekdays, I watch Emergency! on MeTV.  This was kind of a modern day Emergency!, so I figured why not give it a shot?  That show worked, why not this one?  Well, this one bored me, and I quit after a few episodes, when I couldn't see the point of watching it.

The Office (Final Season):

I watched them all, and the season was really uneven.  I was never a fan of the show, so it's not a huge loss to me, but felt it was worth watching how it went out.

Revolution (Renewed):

There was one thing this show did exceptionally well, and that was casting all of the supporting and guest characters.  The casting of the main characters left a lot to be desired, outside of Giancarlo Esposito, but after the main characters, my jaw was constantly dropped by who they got.  The show was incredibly mediocre, but I made it to the end of the season, and will even watch the next.

Now that I've wrapped up the 2012-2013 NBC TV season, I'll give my thoughts about the new shows, and whether I'll be watching.

Mondays:

The Blacklist-This is clearly the tentpole NBC drama this season, based on how many commercials I've seen for it during football.  It's probably going to be a hit, and appears to be the first in what will probably be a long line of Person of Interest "clones".  I could watch Person of Interest ALL DAY, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Tuesdays:

About a Boy (Mid-Season)-Didn't the movie for this come out like 10 years ago?  Does anyone still connect with it?  I'll check it out, but it's probably not my thing.

The Family Guide (Mid-Season)-I can't even remember what this show is.  Maybe I'll watch it, maybe I won't.

Wednesdays:

Ironside-YES!  This is the new show I'm most looking forward to this season.  If it doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do.

Thursdays:

Welcome to the Family-I have no idea how this got made.

Sean Saves the World-This show looks REALLY funny.  I hope it delivers.

The Michael J. Fox Show-A new comedy starring Michael J. Fox.  What else needs to be said?

Fridays:

Dracula (Fall)-I'm watching it, but am not sure it will work.  I predict a pretty quick cancellation.

Crossbones (Mid-Season)-I'll watch this as well, but these two slots should be reserved for Hannibal, so someone's gotta fail...lol.

Sundays:

Believe (Mid-Season)-This is another one I'm looking forward to, but I'm a little disheartened by it being on Sundays.  That can't be a good sign.  I guess we'll see.

Crisis (Mid-Season)-Oh cool, a Scandal rip off on NBC.  No thanks.

Hallelujah!  I made it.  See you tomorrow morning at 9:30am or so with my first 2013-2014 ratings post.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget