Thursday, August 15, 2013

2012-2013 TV Season Wrap Up (ABC): Turns Out Everyone Enjoys A Scandal, But That's About It

Well, well, well, I bet you thought I had disappeared forever.  I guess if forever to you is a little shy of 2 months, you haven't been on the earth long enough.  I've been very busy, and have had a very difficult time keeping up with my blog, but I now have time to go through my third annual scripted TV season wrap ups for all of the big 4 networks.  Some had good years, and some had bad years, but you'll now get to see what I thought of everything I watched.  I'll also give my thoughts on their Fall 2013 schedule, so far, and what I'll check out of the new offerings.  In the past, I had broken down each show's ratings, but since the shows I watched on ABC mostly had terrible ratings, there isn't much to say.  For the other networks, that may prove to be more valuable, but it isn't here.  I hope the post proves worth your while.

Shows I watched, in the 2012-2013 TV season, on ABC:

Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23
Red Widow
Last Resort
Zero Hour
666 Park Avenue
Body of Proof
The Neighbors
Revenge
Scandal

Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 (Canceled):

I kind of liked the first season of this show.  It looked like it would be one of the worst shows ever, based on the preview trailers before it started, but it turned out to be a pretty off the wall and bizarre show.  Unfortunately, it couldn't carry its thunder to season 2, then it got canceled, then went to burn off, and then showed episodes from season 1 out of order.  In other words, it was a mess.  I think the quirkiness went to its head, and the show lost the spirit of what worked in season 2.  I'm pretty sure I watched all of the episodes, but I never looked forward to it by the end.

Red Widow (Canceled):


"I watched the 2 hour Pilot for this show, and I...was...not...impressed."-McKayla Maroney
I hear you, McKayla, I thought it was such a turd that I stopped watching after the 2 hour Pilot, as well.

Last Resort (Canceled):

I used to call this show Lost Resort, because it felt like it was trying to be Lost as a submarine crew, or something.  The show had a good Pilot, and it had a lot of potential.  Unfortunately it went in the opposite direction potential can sometimes have, and that's in tha crappa.  By the end, this show was confirmed terrible, and pretty much a complete waste of time, though not as much of a waste of time as another show that also aired on ABC last season.

Zero Hour (Canceled):

Oh, how convenient!  This is the show I mentioned above that was easily the biggest waste of time of the entire 2012-2013 TV season.  There was a time I actually liked this show quite a bit.  I thought the first three episodes were very fast paced, and I looked forward to it each week.  Then, ABC just up and canceled it.  Well, in this particular case, ABC was clearly genius, as Zero Hour became a black hole of suck by the fourth episode.  My wife and I watched it all the way through, and finally finished the 2 hour "finally" last weekend.  If you know anything about The Bible, this show could not have gotten it more wrong.  It almost played as a comedy, it was so hilariously wrong.  The only thing funnier was Anthony Edwards' "German" accent.  In the show's topper, one of the strangest plot points ever (keep in mind that people appeared to teleport in this series on a frequent basis), we see a character apparently getting ready to die at the end of the series, and then all of a sudden he's alive in the final scene!  Wow, magic!  Nice job on the quick pull, ABC, it was a wise one.  I feel dumber for having watched this whole season.

666 Park Avenue (Canceled):

This is what happens when you give a show a terrible name.  It polarizes the audience, and a show that's pretty decent ends up getting canned.  The show ultimately had a terrible payoff, but it was a pretty enjoyable show through most of its run.  With a different name, this show might have seen a season 2.  Instead, it was banished to Hell just like Zero Hour, the other "religiously" themed show this season on ABC.

Body of Proof (Canceled):

WTF WAS THAT?  Body of Proof, a show that was barely saved from the executioner last season, comes back and is ten times more terrible than it was previously (and it was pretty terrible then).  I didn't mind the Mark Valley cast addition, but literally nothing else worked for me for the new season.  It was overly gory and gross, and every main character had to be completely involved each of the first few episodes' crime, in some form or fashion.  It was bombastic and terrible.  It was a mistake, and I quit this s*** after about the third or fourth episode of the season.  It was too much.  Quincy it wasn't.

The Neighbors (Renewed):

Hey, did you watch this?  It was one of the weirdest and most absurd shows I've seen on TV in awhile.  It was never supposed to work.  It was a terrible idea, but IT WORKED...well....for most of the season.  There were some scenes in this past season that had my jaw dropped very similarly to how I felt watching Wonderfalls the first time.  This show really went for it, in really bizarre ways, and it got my vote for being one of the most bizarrely entertaining new comedies of the season.  It's certainly not for everyone, but if you have even a slightly warped sense of humor, you'll enjoy watching this comedy train wreck.  Toward the end of the season, it tried to go a little too legit family sitcom, and that hurt it.  We'll see if its success goes to its head, or if it continues to head in a good direction in season 2.

Revenge (Renewed):

Wow, did this show take a nosedive or what?  If you made it through this season, and still enjoyed it by the end, I don't know how you did it.  I quit the show somewhere around the 13th episode of the season, right after we find out that Victoria has an abandoned son.  At first, I wanted to know who he was, and then I realized that I DID NOT CARE.  My only goal was to find out who the body was from the first episode, and I was right to pick Michael Trucco.  Killing off his character, something I wish could have been done on Fairly Legal, made those first 13 worthwhile...I guess.

Scandal (Renewed):

Scandal grew an audience from season 1 to season 2, and it's easy to tell why.  This show is shameless hyperdrama, and it makes audiences HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!1111Eleven

In this show, we have an attempted assassination, a plot to lie about the President's medical condition, a rigged election, that everyone except the President knew about, the President brazenly having a mistress, the President murdering a Supreme Court Justice, double crosses and triple crosses, torture, murder for hire, and a million other things I can't remember now.  That's why we're watching the most absurd show on television, and that's including The Neighbors AND Homeland...lol.

And now that I've finished all that, I'll give my thoughts, as quickly as I can, on the Fall 2013 new show lineup on ABC.

Tuesdays:

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Premieres Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 8pm ET):

I watched the trailer for this on the internet, and thought it looked really good.  Then, I saw the trailer in HD on TV, and, well, the visual effects do not hold up well.  So, hopefully the story and dialog will drive the show, if the quality isn't quite as good visually as it needs to be.  I will definitely be watching this.

The Goldbergs (Premieres Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 9pm ET):

A show that's probably going to be billed as The Wonder Years for teenagers and kids from the 80s just doesn't really look like it will be any good.  I want to watch it, to see if it connects with me, but I don't have a lot of hope for it.  It's going with all the wrong pop culture references in the trailer, so there's a good shot it's going to miss all around.   I'm obviously going to give it at least a few shots to sell me.

Trophy Wife (Premieres Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm ET):

This looks really dumb, but I'll give it a couple of shots, if it doesn't conflict with anything in my DVR.

Lucky 7 (Premieres Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 10pm ET):

I have absolutely no idea how this got made based on the promo material I've seen, and I have zero interest in watching it.

Wednesdays: 

Back in the Game (Premieres Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 8:30pm ET):

This is another show I'm going to watch, but I don't have any confidence it will be any good.  The promo wasn't at all encouraging.

Thursdays:

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (Premieres Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 8pm ET):

I quit Once Upon a Time at some point in the first season, so I'm going to do one better, and not watch this one at all.  It just doesn't appeal to me.

Sundays:

Betrayal (Premieres Sunday, September 29, 2013 at 10pm ET):

It is a betrayal to the audience that ABC thinks this show is a good idea.  If it makes it to December, I'll be shocked.

I'll try to finish the other three wrap ups this week, but don't hold your breath.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget