Friday, April 5, 2013

TV Ratings Notes For Sunday, March 31, 2013-Thursday April 4, 2013: The Walking Dead (AMC), The Following (FOX), Revolution (NBC), The New Normal (NBC) Body Of Proof (ABC), Golden Boy (CBS), How To Live With Your Parents For The Rest Of Your Life (ABC), Go On (NBC), Hannibal (NBC)

It's been awhile since I've done any ratings notes, so I'll do a pretty decent one today.  I don't think I'm going to pick back up on posting the TV ratings every day, unless your comments on this post tell me you would like me to do that again.  If you do, I'll just pick up with Monday's ratings for Sunday's programming.  If there's no response, just forget I said anything.

The Walking Dead (AMC, Sundays at 9pm ET)

12.419 million Overall Viewers
6.4 in the 18-49 Demo

The Walking Dead wrapped up its third season on Sunday, and it had the highest ratings it's ever had.  It's the highest rated show on all of television, outside of sports, and it continues to defy ratings expectations from week to week.  The truly astounding thing about the show is that it's available to only 70 percent of TV viewers, but it has higher ratings than anything else on TV.  Its season to season ratings growth is something to marvel at, as it has somehow managed to completely connect with mass audiences.  Even if people don't like the show, it's pretty obvious they don't want to be left out when it's being talked about.  I'll wrap this up with this image that was obviously deleted from the finale for some unknown reason.  This show will apparently always have the last laugh.


The Following (FOX, Mondays at 9pm ET)

6.57 million Overall Viewers
2.2/6 in the 18-49 Demo

I'm pretty sure this show is just an elaborate joke on the audience.  It's patently ridiculous, and unbelievable how absolutely incompetent the FBI is in this show.  In the previous week, a perfect example of that kind of thing is when Ryan said that he had to be the one to go get Claire.  The boss in the FBI (who is incidentally not Ryan's boss because he's not even in the FBI anymore) said that's not going to happen.  Ryan said it wasn't negotiable.  The FBI guy gives him a mean look, and it cuts to the next scene with Ryan heading out to get Claire.  LOL.  If I were the FBI guy, I would have said, "Well, good luck with that."  The Following is probably also one of the funniest comedies on TV.  Yet, I keep watching.  Viewers are leaving it slowly, but you knowwwwww they'll be back.

Revolution (NBC, Mondays at 10pm ET)

6.36 million Overall Viewers
2.2/6 in the 18-49 Demo

NBC obviously tried to kill this mediocre show (that I'm still watching) with a five month hiatus.  Well, just like just about everything else NBC tries to do, that failed.  The show has strong enough ratings that it's a guaranteed renewal, even though the ratings are down significantly since the Fall season.  Is that because they had four set up episodes in a row before the set up episode of a mid-season finale?  Or is it because viewers forgot about it?  I still haven't even caught up on the show, since it came back, but I prooooooomise I will today.

The New Normal (NBC, Tuesdays at 9:30pm ET)

4.46 million Overall Viewers (9pm episode)
1.7/5 in the 18-49 Demo

3.39 million Overall Viewers (9:30pm finale episode)
1.4/4 in the 18-49 Demo

If the next to last episode was the equivalent of a child's cork gun pop, the finale episode went out with an air SBD fart.  NBC gave the show a chance to succeed behind The Voice, and its ratings were significantly improved from all of the most recent episodes.  I figured the show would need something like a 2.0+ to have a chance at renewal, but I'm just not optimistic that a 1.7 is enough to give it any new consideration.  Considering the finale had a 1.4, I think it's pretty likely that this show won't be coming back, even with its improved numbers on Tuesday.  I want it to, just because I like my friends working, but I can't see any way that it will, outside of maybe a 1 percent chance.  I've been wrong before, so if I'm wrong here, I won't shed a tear.

Body of Proof (ABC, Tuesdays at 10pm ET)

8.56 million Overall Viewers
1.4/4 in the 18-49 Demo

After having to witness Jeri Effing Ryan (no offense Jeri, plz) in her underwear in multiple scenes, getting her freak on in the previous episode, I've finally decided to quit this show.  I had been flirting with quitting the show nearly the entire season, as the new bombastic nature of the show absolutely does not appeal to me in any way.  I really don't know what ABC was thinking with all of the terrible re-toolings this show got.  It didn't need to be amped up, it needed to be dialed back.  The ratings for the show went up behind Dancing with the Stars, so we might not being seeing the swan song for the show.  I'm keeping a close eye on the Live+7 DVR numbers for the show, and will probably be willing to make a prediction of its fate next week.  Right now, I'm definitely leaning toward renewal, considering how poorly other shows on ABC have done in this slot.  I just won't be watching, or maybe I will next season, because it will probably be a totally different show AGAIN...lol.

Golden Boy (CBS, Tuesdays at 10pm ET)

7.83 million Overall Viewers
1.3/4 in the 18-49 Demo

I actually really like this show, and am disappointed it's not performing better.  It has its weaknesses, certainly, and it's pretty soapy, but I'm invested in the story, and will be sad to see it go.  Did you see what I just said there?  I said I will be sad to see it go.  That's right, I can't see any way for this show to come back, despite several scenarios I have tried to play out in my head (Sundays, Fridays, behind Person of Interest, or even Summer).  It just doesn't have any thunder down under.

How To Live with Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life (ABC, Wednesdays at 9:30pm ET)

8.44 million Overall Viewers
2.9/8 in the 18-49 Demo

More like How To Type the Name of Our Show Out for the Rest of Your Life.  The ratings for the show are pretty great for its premiere, but the name is terrible.  If it doesn't have any significant fall off for the rest of the season, this is a guaranteed renewal, and may finally be the tentpole Modern Family follower ABC's been looking for for years.  I would have given it one shot had it not conflicted with the two other shows I watch on Wednesdays.  Since it did, forget it, and no I'm not interested in watching it On Demand...

Go On (NBC, Thursdays at 9:30pm ET)

2.45 million Overall Viewers
1.1/3 in the 18-49 Demo

I give NBC a lot of crap for the terrible way they treat their shows, but Go On takes the NBC cake and stomps all over it or something.  This show has been butchered into oblivion, and when they finally started fixing it, The Voice came back (last week), and gave Go On the lead in it had at the beginning of the season, when it was a relatively huge success.  Consequently, Go On's ratings returned through the roof (relatively speaking), and it looked like there might be renewed hope for a renewal.  However, in typical NBC fashion, they decided to move it behind The Office for the rest of its episodes, starting this week, and it became 1600 Penn in the ratings all over again.  Go On has been a terribly mismanaged show, not only on the schedule, but on the page.  I don't know who to blame for that, but NBC seems like a good target, so I blame them.  I used to really like the show, but now I only kind of like it, and that's after they got it back on track after I started almost hating it (Simone anyone?).  It's such a shame they couldn't have just left the show alone, but that's how it goes sometimes...

Hannibal (NBC, Thursdays at 10pm ET)

4.36 million Overall Viewers
1.6/5 in the 18-49 Demo

Even though these numbers are pretty low (lower than the ill-fated Awake's premiere last season), I'm cautiously optimistic that it will have very good Live+7 DVR numbers.  Are most people really going to want to watch this right before going to bed?  I don't think so, so I'm expecting it to have a significant boost in the L+7 DVR ratings.  I could be wrong or I could be right, we'll know in a few weeks.  I'll be watching it tonight to see if it's any good.  I've heard good things, so I'm looking forward to seeing if it works.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget