Friday, April 12, 2013

TV Ratings Note For Thursday, April 11, 2013: Hannibal (NBC)

Hannibal (NBC, Thursdays at 10pm ET)

4.34 million Overall Viewers
1.6/5 in the 18-49 Demo

I picked these numbers up from TV by the Numbers, but I'd like to talk a little bit about the half hour intervals for the show.  In the first half hour, Hannibal had a 1.6 in the 18-49 demo, and the second half hour had a 1.7 in the 18-49 demo.  That means I think it's very likely the show is going to get adjusted up to a 1.7 in the 18-49 demo in the final ratings.  I could be wrong, but that's how I think it's going to go. 

The good news for the show is that it had no drop from its premiere ratings.  It was obviously helped by Scandal and Elementary being reruns (two shows that cause conflicts in my DVR with Hannibal), but all shows should take victories where they can.  If it weren't for what I expect the DVR ratings to be, I would put Hannibal on the low side of the bubble for renewal chances.  However, I think the show is probably doing great in DVR viewership, due to the subject matter, and people not wanting to watch it right before bed (after watching the first episode, there is no chance I would watch it before bed, based on how Bryan Fuller attempts to sear images into your brain).  I don't know if we'll get the first DVR ratings for it on Monday, or the following Monday, but I can't say that there have been DVR ratings I've anticipated more than this show's in quite awhile.

The Pilot was excellent, in my opinion the best of the entire 2012-2013 TV season, so far, so if you're into this sort of thing, you can certainly watch it and likely not be disappointed.  The last show I was this excited about after the Pilot was Person of Interest (CBS, Thursdays at 9pm ET), which became my favorite show, so I'm expecting pretty great things to eventually happen with Hannibal, as well.  I thought it started out excellently, and demonstrated what I feel is a ton of potential.  After reading how thoroughly planned this show is, I have even more confidence that it will turn out to be an excellent show provided the viewers stick around enough to give it another season.  I will say I have been surprised to see some of the mixed bag nature of comments about the show, but that clearly was not the case in terms of polarization of viewers.  You can tell that just by looking at the zero drop in ratings (and potential improvement in ratings from the first to second episode).  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget