Monday, December 31, 2012

Chris Colley's TV Blog*'s Ten Favorite Shows of 2012

Everyone loves doing best of lists at the end of the year.  In the case of this list, it's not a best of, it's just my 10 favorite shows of 2012.  It might include canceled shows, because, like the writers of Homeland, I'll just be making this up as I go along.  I hope you all have a prosperous and safe 2013!  Happy New Year, and thanks for reading!

1. Person of Interest (CBS)

There's been absolutely no drop off from season 1 to season 2, so I'm looking forward to this show taking the top spot for me for many years to come.

2. Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Doesn't it seem appropriate that the great folks over at Parks and Recreation would be proudly shouting, "WE'RE NUMBER 2!"?  After an all over the map season 4, season 5 has really gotten back on track, and reminds me very much of all the best we have come to expect from our favorite mockumentary about local government.  If not for Person of Interest, this show would easily be my number 1 show of the year.  So, Parks and Recreation cast and crew you should be proudly shouting, "WE'RE NUMBER 2!".

3. Veep (HBO)

It's been a long time since I've had so many comedies I've liked, but 2012 was a great year for them, minus the ones that ended up on the other year end list I'm creating.  Parks and Recreation has the best comedy ensemble cast on network TV, in my opinion, and Veep's cast goes toe for toe with it on the channels that you can cuss on.  I consider it to be an adult version of Parks and Recreation, and I can't wait for season 2.  It's sharp, funny, has great cast chemistry, and it's must see if you haven't seen it.

4. Psych (USA)

For a show that's been on as long as this one (and that I still haven't caught up on completely), it's still not getting old.  The Hangover parody, from last season, was hysterical, and I greatly look forward to the upcoming season.  No show handles gimmick casting better than this one...period.

5. Common Law (USA)

There always seems to be at least one show that we have to lament its cancellation on this list, and this year it is Common Law.  This was a genuinely funny buddy cop show, with good enough ratings to get renewed, yet it didn't.  Hopefully it's out there somewhere you can see, because you should see it.  I loved this show, and truly miss that it will not ever be back.  At least we got good closure on the incident that caused all the drama between Travis and Wes.  I'm so sad this one is gone.  It was way too soon.

6. The Mindy Project (FOX)

I could have sworn this show would be terrible, but I think it's fantastic.  Mindy Kaling is a great writer, and this "parody" of romantic comedies is really great.  I love how each week she basically says what we all wish we could say.  This is a silly, funny show, and if you liked her character at all on The Office, you will LOVE this.  Trust me. 

7. Burn Notice (USA)

Burn Notice took a pretty big fall last season, but it still definitely deserves to be on the list.  It's clear that it's heading into the sunset, but I'll still enjoy every single minute it's still on the air. 

8. Franklin & Bash (TNT)

If you asked people which show they like best, between Franklin & Bash and Suits (USA), most people would likely choose Suits.  The difference between the two shows, to me, is ego and spirit.  I love both Franklin & Bash and Suits, but each show's second season is what determined which one got put on the list.  Franklin & Bash is the kind of show that gets full of itself after a carefree first season that was outstanding.  The thing is, it didn't!  For that accomplishment, alone, Franklin & Bash deserves to remain on the list.  Suits fully believed its own hype, and that's why I can't put it on the list, despite it ultimately having an excellent second season, for the most part.

9. Grimm (NBC)

This is a really awesome police procedural with a twist.  The first 12 episodes were pretty much a relatively standard police procedural in a supernatural setting.  There were little bits and pieces of an advancing serialization, but it easily could have stood alone up to that point.  From episode 13 onward, the show has been piling more plot than you can imagine into every episode.  The show even had a fantastic Halloween episode, which is nearly impossible to do.  When it comes to hybrid serialization on network TV, this and Person of Interest is how it's done. 

10. Homeland (Showtime)

Quite possibly the most overrated show in TV history, I can't avoid putting it on the list.  It has a hacky storyline, with absurd plots, and terrible attention to detail.  However, it has extremely high production value featuring usually top notch acting, outside of Claire Danes' "Most Acting" performances, endless face mugging, and ugly cry facing.  No longer a show to be taken seriously (since midway through the first season), it's still a relatively entertaining ride, as long as you're willing to leave your head a few miles outside the door.

11. Arrow (The CW)

And just because it's my blog, dammit, I'm adding a bonus pick.  Arrow is an extremely fun show, and is one you should be watching if you like Person of Interest, Revenge, the Nolan Batmans, cats, rats, fleas, and anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget