Wednesday, September 12, 2012

TV Ratings Notes For Tuesday September 11, 2012: Go On (NBC), The New Normal (NBC), Parenthood (NBC)

It was hard premiere night on NBC, and the numbers were quite revealing.  I'll get right to them.

Go On (NBC, 9pm ET)

9.57 million Overall Viewers
3.4/9 in the 18-49 Demo

The second episode, the one no one had the opportunity to watch before it aired, was what would give us our first indication of Go On's chances at renewal.  If you read the blog post about the Go On post Olympics special preview episode, you would know that I predicted this show will likely be the highest rated NBC sitcom by the end of the season.  We're now two episodes in, and it's already the highest rated NBC sitcom from LAST season.  Believe it or not, I think this show will not fall that much from these numbers, even though it is in a fairly competitive slot.  This show is too vanilla for the niche comedy watchers (Happy Endings), and people can just hit record on NCIS:  Los Angeles.  The show appears to be rock solid, with a very capable ensemble.  It's only going to get better from here, quality wise, and I think it's already significantly better than every single new sitcom that premiered on NBC's slate in the 2011-2012 TV season.  I'm ready to predict this show's renewal, but I'll be sensible and wait until it's up against its full slate of competition.  We'll have to wait about two more weeks for the first look at those numbers.

The New Normal (NBC, 9:30pm ET)

7.00 million Overall Viewers
2.5/7 in the 18-49 Demo

When I wrote yesterday's blog post about The New Normal's soft premiere, I predicted this show would likely get renewed if it could stick around the audience numbers it produced on Monday night.  It would have to fall quite a bit to fall into cancellation territory.  Well, the hard premiere was last night, and the numbers were practically identical to the soft premiere.  This show is looking very good for renewal, at this point.

As for the show, I finally had the chance to watch both episodes, and I didn't like it.  I won't be back for more.  I thought the show was extremely unfunny, and if it were just a traditional sitcom, it wouldn't work for me that way either.  I didn't laugh once, and I didn't find the show compelling.  Couple that with the fact that there are two other shows I will be watching against that one, this ends up being the casualty.  The shows I will be watching in this highly competitive time slot are Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23, and The Mindy Project (don't know if I'll end up sticking with Mindy, but that's what I'll be watching for now).  The New Normal is just not for me, but that doesn't mean it's not for a lot of other people.  This was proven by its absolutely even ratings from its first to second episode, numbers that, if held over the season, would be slam dunk renewal territory.  Ellen Barkin's character is revolting, and I think they should just plain get rid of her.  It would improve the show 1000 percent.

Parenthood (NBC, 10pm ET)

5.57 million Overall Viewers
1.9/5 in the 18-49 Demo

And the Parenthood fans groaned at these numbers.  The thing that saves the show is that it's the first hard drama premiere on NBC, this season.  1.9 might end up being a pretty good number for the network, based on the super crappy lineup they're putting together this season.  The wild card for the show is that it will be nearing 88 episodes after this season (75 is the number it will sit on after a full fourth season).  To me, that means that it will certainly get a fifth season to get it there (probably only 13, depending on ratings).  So, unless this show is pulling in a 1.0 at some point this season, consider this your announcement that this show will be renewed for what will likely be a 13 episode fifth and final season.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget