Tuesday, September 18, 2012

TV Premiere Ratings Notes For Monday, September 17, 2012: Revolution (NBC), The Mob Doctor (FOX)

Revolution (NBC, Mondays at 10pm ET)

11.65 million Overall Viewers
4.1/11 in the 18-49 Demo

I've been watching people hem and haw about this show for weeks.  I saw the Pilot about two weeks ago, and, as you can find in my Pilot review blog post, I thought it was mediocre.  However, my personal feeling was that the show would connect with a large audience.  I've watched the sci-fi genre nuts on IMDb wailing about it, as if the end of the world were coming, and saying that it would be canceled in weeks (I audibly laughed at these comments, by the way).  They think it's another bad show along the lines of The Event and Terra Nova, and that "true" sci-fi is dead on network TV or something.  My personal feeling was that the storyline was simple enough to appeal to the masses, and that the show has a lot more in common with the highly rated and highly flawed The Walking Dead than either Terra Nova or The Event.  This is why I like to wait until the ratings for a show are out, as opposed to speculating about it before viewers see it.  This is also why you should put no stock in the ratings opinions of genre nuts.  Their favorite shows get canceled.  If they hate it, it means it appeals to more than just them.  I'm sorry if that offends, but it is certainly true.

Because the show has been available for about 3 weeks or so to the general public, these numbers are HUGE.  WOW! My prediction is that if this show does not ultimately be about aliens or Scientology that it will be a sustained hit, and that it will be an easy and likely quick renewal.  There's nothing in the Pilot that is going to turn off the average viewer, but we don't know what's coming up soon in the plot.  All NBC has to do is not screw this show up, and they potentially will have TWO new hits on their schedule, this season.

The Mob Doctor (FOX, Mondays at 9pm ET)

5.09 million Overall Viewers
1.5/4 in the 18-49 Demo

When I first heard about this show, and the terrible name, I figured it would be a disaster, and I even put it under the "No Go" category in my preliminary Pilot slate analysis blog post that you can find here.  Then, I saw the trailer, and it didn't look completely atrocious.  I wasn't even going to give it a go, but had decided to DVR it last week.  After these ratings, I'm not going to bother, because I can't see this show being on the schedule after about two or three more weeks.  My guess is that it will disappear into the abyss around the time FOX starts showing post season baseball in Primetime.  The Mob Doctor is cremated (be sure to check out my coined words and terms post here, for further explanation of this new definition).  It's looking like we're going to be seeing another disastrous scripted drama TV season from FOX.  Do you think they're missing Human Target, Lie To Me, Alcatraz, and The Chicago Code yet?  I bet they are.  Maybe next season they'll just run American Idol and The X Factor concurrently, and have no weekday scripted TV, outside of the Tuesday sitcoms and Glee at all, or even better just run repeats of American Idol and The X Factor.  They'd probably do a better job as a network just doing that.  Grrr.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget