Tuesday, August 14, 2012

TV PREMIERE RATINGS NOTES FOR AUGUST 8-13, 2012: Go On, Animal Practice, Grimm

I normally try to post these things as they happen, but that wasn't hap'nin' last week.  NBC decided to air two "special previews", out of their new sitcom lineup, following their insanely high rated Olympics coverage.  Their first foray into that was the new Matthew Perry series Go On, which aired Wednesday, August 8, 2012.  After the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics, NBC also did a "special preview" of Animal Practice.  While those ratings are certainly worth looking at, they aren't realistic, and don't count in anything NBC is doing in regard to ratings.  I'll give you each show's ratings numbers, and also post the preliminary numbers for last night's season 2 premiere of Grimm, which is also on NBC.

Go On (NBC, Special Preview, August 8, 2012)

16.1 million Overall Viewers
5.6 in the 18-49 Demo

These are huge ratings, but they're not realistic.  I can easily see this show settling in the mid to upper 2s for ratings, but I doubt it will do much better than that.  That means I'm pretty sure this show is going to make it.  It wasn't groundbreaking in any real way, but it has Matthew Perry being pretty much who people like to watch, and it has a bit of heart.  I'm even willing to predict this show will be a hit by NBC standards.  I will be very surprised if this show doesn't end up being NBC's highest rated sitcom at the end of the season.  Yes, I do mean higher than The Office.  That's my first bold, and possibly stupid, prediction of the 2012-2013 TV season.

Animal Practice (NBC, Special Preview, August 12, 2012)

12.8 million Overall Viewers
4.1 in the 18-49 Demo

I was in bed by the time this aired, and I'm not sure I would have checked it out if I had been awake.  I'm going to give the show a shot, when it airs in its normal slot, but this show looks incredibly stupid.  Maybe it's not, but the marketing has been atrocious.  The fact that it got far fewer viewers than Go On, despite having a stronger lead in, should tell you pretty much what's going to probably happen to this show.  If this show is still in the high 2s for its regular premiere, it would be a miracle.  I expect it to be in the 2.0 area for its regular premiere, and expect it to be somewhere in the 1s, not long after that.  Which part of the 1s will be the determining factor in its prospects.  I'm not that bold of a predictor, but the premise looks lame.  We'll see how the real premiere goes, and take it from there.  NBC obviously likes it a lot, or they wouldn't have devoted one of the precious post-Olympics time slots to gaining awareness for it.

Grimm (NBC, Mondays 10pm ET, moving to Fridays September 21, 2012, at 9pm ET)

5.681 million Overall Viewers
2.0 in the 18-49 Demo

I eagerly anticipated the premiere ratings for Grimm, after the amount of promotion (though most of it was bad) during the Olympics.  However, when I saw the headline at TV by the Numbers, I knew it wasn't going to live up to my hopes.  They reported that it had the second highest ratings in the show's history.  This show has never had particularly high ratings, so I knew that wouldn't be so great.  The fact that it doesn't have great numbers says a lot more about NBC's terrible image spots, with stupid rock music, that tell you nothing about the show, or even tone of the show, than it does about Grimm's prospects.  We won't know anything until it moves to Fridays, but I think we're going to be looking at ratings very similar to last season's.   We won't know what the bar is for this show, until all of NBC's relatively lackluster new slate gets to airing in September and October.  I sincerely hope it retains this audience on Fridays, but I am a realist, and know that's unlikely to happen.  It has a few more episodes in a beneficial time slot coming up, so maybe it will grow a little bit more of an audience before it heads back to Friday nights.  I'd be happy with anything in the 1.8 area on Friday nights, so we'll see what happens.

It's sad that I have now posted about 2012-2013 premiere ratings without having finished my 2011-2012 TV season wrap ups.  Post a like below if you still want me to finish those (I still have NBC and CBS left to do).  If not, we'll just move on, since no likes means no one cares, and it's not like I'm getting paid to do this.  If a few likes determine that I will write them, it will hopefully be later this week.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget