Thursday, April 12, 2012

TV Ratings Notes For Wednesday, April 11, 2012 (Don't Trust The B---- In Apt. 23, Best Friends Forever, Revenge Recap, Law & Order: SVU)

Don't Trust the B---- In Apt. 23 (ABC, 9:30pm ET)

6.98 million Overall Viewers
2.9/7 in the 18-49 Demo

I read a little bit about the ratings, on this show, and it's uniformly thought to just be an "okay" start.  I think it had a little better than okay start, but these ratings could present some future problems for ABC.  I think they thought it would tank from its lead in (it did a little, but not nearly as bad as it could have), and that they'd have some kind of excuse to get rid of it.  Instead, they have a show that looks like it's going to retain good enough 18-49 ratings to come back next season.  At these ratings, it certainly would, as these are higher ratings than several sitcoms that I have predicted will get renewed. 

I'm going to check the show out, later today, but I don't think it's going to appeal to me.  I remember watching the trailer for it, last Spring, and thought it looked absolutely terrible.  They had a lot of time to re-tool the concept, since then, so it might have turned out okay.  One thing is certain about this show, it's not pulling in anyone outside the 18-49 demo, which means it definitely does not appear to have any kind of broad appeal.  A little piece of trivia regarding ABC's programming, this season, is that they now have two shows in the schedule featuring the word B***h.  That's pretty strange, to me.

Best Friends Forever (NBC, 8:30pm ET)

2.94 million Overall Viewers
0.9/3 in the 18-49 Demo

Well, that'll do it folks. This show is done.  I heard the second episode was atrocious, but I haven't seen it, yet.  So, I'll reserve judgment on the quality until then.  I will not reserve my judgment on its renewal prospects.  It has none.

Revenge-Recap Episode (ABC, 10pm ET)

5.57 million Overall Viewers
1.6/4 in the 18-49 Demo

After pulling the rug out from Revenge fans multiple times, in the last 2 months, we have been "treated" to a recap episode.  I believe that will make it 7 weeks since an original episode has aired.  Maybe if they didn't go on an extended hiatus every few weeks, we wouldn't have to see an effing clip show.  Clip shows, like this, are always the best way to re-write the narrative, and make us forget about anything we should be remembering.  I have it in the DVR, but I'm not planning on enjoying it.

Lots of people think these numbers bode well for next week's return, but I don't see it.  Nearly every viewer of Revenge should be wanting to see this recap, and I think it bodes pretty poorly for next week's ratings.  The ratings should certainly be higher than this, but I have a feeling many of the fans are going to be disappointed by the drop that I think is coming.  After the twist, I really felt that ABC rushed the show off the air, so that we couldn't get any real metrics of audience loss.  They'll just blame it on the hiatuses, if it comes back weakly.  I'll blame it on story development AND hiatuses, if it comes back weakly.  Next week is pivotal to this show's renewal chances.  If it comes back at the same ratings it's had all season, it's definitely getting renewed.  If it drops to anywhere near a 2.0, I think it's in big trouble, unless ABC wants to lead it in with DWTS, on one of the days, next season.  I should be giving my prediction for whether it gets renewed next Thursday morning.

Law & Order: SVU (NBC, 10pm ET)

5.42 million Overall Viewers
1.6/4 in the 18-49 Demo

Whoever is in charge of renewal/cancellation decisions, at NBC, could sneeze and their heads fall off, and I wouldn't be concerned (thanks Kojak writers), but, really, it's time for the Law & Order franchise to die.  This show, for a procedural, has to be among the most expensive on TV.  The quality is not there, anymore, and the interest is definitely not there, anymore.  Where I like to read about this stuff, they say this is a certain renewal.  If that's the case, I think it's a certain mistake.  That is, of course, unless you bring Goren and Eames back.  Then, I'd get back on board the Law & Order bandwagon.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget