Thursday, April 5, 2012

TV Ratings Notes For Thursday, March 29-Wednesday, April 4, 2012 (Missing, Awake, Touch, Up All Night, Rules Of Engagement, GCB, Bones, House, New Girl, Breaking In, Body Of Proof, Best Friends Forever, Bent)

Did you miss me?  It's okay if you didn't, but I'll still try to catch you up on what I feel are the interesting TV ratings notes of the past week.  It will be going from oldest to newest, for continuity.

Missing (ABC, Thursdays, 8pm ET)

7.87 million Overall Viewers
1.5/4 in the 18-49 Demo

I've already stated that I think the bubble drama line, on ABC, is a 2.0.  This show is nowhere near a 2.0, and it is nowhere near a renewal.  It's getting canceled.

Awake (NBC, Thursdays, 10pm ET)

3.18 million Overall Viewers
1.0/3 in the 18-49 Demo

When the audience can't even watch your show passively, when it really wants to, there's a problem.  This show is enormously confusing when you actually think about it, and the viewers just don't want to be confused, or have just stopped caring.  I read some message boards about the show, and most people seem to not enjoy the show mostly being a police procedural (do you really need to get me started about that not being the problem, and that the serialization is?).  It's no secret that I love police procedurals (the good kind), so I actually really dug the last episode, for the most part.  They're setting up a big conspiracy, and I really have no idea what it's all about.  I really feel like we are watching a continuation of The Event, and that the aliens have decided to blend in again.  Man, that would be an awful ending.  Still, this show is a lot better than The Event, even if it has a completely dissatisfying end. 

Touch (FOX, Thursdays, 9pm ET)

8.92 million Overall Viewers
2.7/7 in the 18-49 Demo

I'm still not caught up on the show, and the show's still not up against its real competition.  I think these numbers will drop quite a bit, tonight, but I still think it's safe for renewal, as long as it stays above a 2.2.

Up All Night (NBC, Thursdays, 9:30pm ET)

2.92 million Overall Viewers
1.3/4 in the 18-49 Demo

No lead in equals no ratings for this stinker and turd of a show.  I hope this is finally enough of a ratings dump to push it through the toilet hole of NBC cancellations.  Here's hoping.

Rules of Engagement (CBS, Thursdays, 8:30pm ET)

8.65 million Overall Viewers
2.7/8 in the 18-49 Demo

In the grey area sitcoms, Rules of Engagement has returned.  Theoretically, this show is competing for a slot with Rob.  Of course, they could both end up being canceled, which was what happened to two other shows in apparent competition, last season, Human Target and Lie To Me.  If the theoretical comedy block expansion happens on CBS, as has been speculated, both might return, but, if only one returns, I think Rob is the favorite.  The ratings were nearly identical, and I guess it all comes down to whether CBS can sell Rules into syndication, as I don't think it's close enough to get there, yet.  I found Rob to be a mostly enjoyable show, with a lot of potential, so I'd prefer it to come back.  If there's no comedy block expansion, neither show has an easy road to renewal.

GCB (ABC, Sundays, 10pm ET)

5.63 million Overall Viewers
1.9/5 in the 18-49 Demo

Well, GCB dropped below the bubble line, for me.  Of course, it was in competition with the Country Music Awards, which surely stole some of its viewers.  We'll see if there's a rebound next week, as I expect there will be.

Bones (FOX, Mondays, 8pm ET)

8.39 million Overall Viewers
2.5/7 in the 18-49 Demo

Bones was renewed before it came back, so its fate has never been in question.  These ratings were decent, if unspectacular, and I'm sure FOX will not regret its decision to renew the show.  They also could be doing a nice hedge, hoping that The Finder comes back decently on Fridays.  If that happens, can you say Bones at 8pm and The Finder at 9pm...on Fridays?  I think you might be able to say that.  I think you might.  Move that reality crap to the weekend.

House (FOX, Mondays, 9pm ET)

6.67 million Overall Viewers
2.3/6 in the 18-49 Demo

The final push for House is on.  It didn't get off to a good start.  I'm sure everyone will be looking forward to seeing how House dies...uh, I mean ends.  I expect the ratings to improve over the next several weeks.  This is, after all, the end of an era.

New Girl (FOX, Tuesdays, 9pm ET)

4.59 million Overall Viewers
2.3/6 in the 18-49 Demo

I haven't been closely following the ratings for this show, but this is troubling.  This show was a huge hit out the box, pulling in similar numbers to the top rated new sitcom, 2 Broke Girls2 Broke Girls has stayed strong, but this show's taking a big dump in the ratings.  Is Zooey fatigue setting in?  The numbers are good enough for it to get renewed, as FOX is a little more lenient with their sitcom ratings than they are with their drama ratings.  Still, these numbers are quite disappointing, and don't bode well for a third season, if it gets a second (it will).

Breaking In (FOX, Tuesdays, 9:30pm ET)

2.55 million Overall Viewers
1.3/3 in the 18-49 Demo

Yeah, this show should have stayed canceled.

Body Of Proof (ABC, Tuesdays, 10pm ET)

10.51 million Overall Viewers
2.0/5 in the 18-49 Demo

OMFG, look at that ratings resurgence!  The show must have improved exponentially for this many people to be tuning in!!!  This show is totally getting renewed for a third season!!!  What?  Dancing With the Stars came back?  Forget what I just said.  If ABC wants to prop this show up forever with DWTS, then, sure, renew it.  It can't make it on its own.  It's the same old story with this show.  If DWTS leads it in, it has decent ratings.  If not, it's almost like it's not even on the air.

Best Friends Forever (NBC, Wednesdays, 8:30pm ET)

3.94 million Overall Viewers
1.2/4 in the 18-49 Demo

NBC's marketing of sitcoms is way less than desirable.  I saw a few promos for this show, and it looked te-rri-ble (said in Spanish accent).  I have to say I watched it, just to see how it is.  My mind is open folks, at least for one episode, of most shows.  I thought the show was okay, and I'll stick around for at least three more to see how it develops.  I certainly thought it was much better than Bent, a show that I canceled after the first two episodes, and nearly turned off about 5 minutes into the second episode.  I only laughed maybe one or two times, but that's okay, the show's not played for big laughs, at least not in my opinion. 

Best Friends Forever has a very high production value, and Fred Savage did quite a good job directing the Pilot.  Some of the acting, and situations, are pretty hokey, but that's stuff that easily can get fixed as the show goes on.  One thing is certain, and that's that they do need some fact checkers on the show.  The whole college football on Sundays thing made them look kind of stupid, even though I didn't even consciously notice the reference, when I first watched the show.  Still, the show has believable characters, and a decent amount of potential, and I think it's worth at least a watch to see what you think.  I don't think the concept is fully formed, so the show could be quite different than what was seen in the Pilot, a few episodes from now.

If NBC makes this the style of future sitcoms (that aren't mockumentaries), there could well be a resurgence for them.  This season, it's a no go.  So, unless NBC gives this show a really long leash (they spent real money to make it look good, which is a good thing), there's very little chance of it being renewed.  I'll give my official prediction after next week's episode, but if it stays at these numbers, it's done.

Bent (NBC, Season Over, Show Over...Over, Over, Over)

2.27 million Overall Viewers (9pm episode)
0.8/2 in the 18-49 Demo

1.93 million Overall Viewers (Finale)
0.7/2 in the 18-49 Demo

Last, and certainly least, on this list, is the final night of Bent.  If nothing else, this show was quite polarizing.  I've seen many people say they like the show, and I've seen many people say they hate the show.  I was in the hate line.  I didn't think anything about the show was believable, and the forced nature of the show really bothered me.  It doesn't mean I didn't get an occasional laugh, in the two episodes I saw, but it certainly was not my type of show.  What makes sitcoms work, to me, is divergent personalities all somehow getting together and getting along.  You know, that's kind of what it's like in real life.  Everyone, on the show Bent, felt like slightly different versions of the same character, which made me not feel anything for any of them.  This show is easily the biggest scripted disaster of the Monday-Thursday 2011-2012 TV season, and even The Firm couldn't do worse than it during the week (it's doing much worse on Saturdays).  This might even be one of the biggest failures in TV history.  That's saying something, when NBC is doing nothing but lining up failures, or tepid successes, these days.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget