Friday, April 27, 2012

TV Ratings Notes For Thursday, April 26, 2012 (Touch, Scandal)

It's Friday morning, so you know I could write a few paragraphs about a bunch of shows that are not performing up to expectations, or shows that are doing great.  However, I've already done that, over and over, about shows like Missing, Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Person of Interest, Parks and Recreation, and Awake, so I won't be doing it again.  What I will say is that the toughest scripted time slot on TV (9pm ET) finally filled up, this week, with all new episodes.

Touch (FOX, 9pm ET)

6.479 million Overall Viewers
1.9/5 in the 18-49 Demo

Last night was the first night, since Touch moved to Thursdays, that I had to make a choice.  I didn't choose this.  I'll gag myself with a spoon, later, and watch it on FOX Video On Demand, where they force you to watch all of the original commercials.  My favorite shows, right now, are Person of Interest (CBS, 9pm ET), and Parks and Recreation (NBC, 9:30pm ET).  I can only record two shows at once, so Touch is the odd man out.  It's at least good enough that I am still willing to suffer through FOX's revolting Video On Demand.  These ratings are below the FOX Monday-Thursday bubble line, but, against the competition it's facing, it could have been a lot worse.  Another interesting thing to point out is that it has one one of the best lead ins on TV, but in a slot like this, a lead in means next to nothing. 

Unfortunately, for Touch, the type of show that normally wins its time slot, it brought up the rear, finishing 4th in the hyper competitive 9pm time slot.  In case you were wondering what won the slot, it was Grey's Anatomy (ABC), and it did so handily.  Even Person of Interest's numbers were down significantly from its last original episode.  I still think Touch will get renewed, because FOX has to make a pity renewal (oh wait, Fringe was renewed yesterday, does this count?), and this show is getting relatively decent numbers (lower than FOX's traditional renewal ratings) in a horrible time slot. 

The question that might become relevant now, to Alcatraz fans, like me, is, "Which is cheaper?" I think it's pretty easy to determine that Alcatraz is cheaper, but tilting the scale in favor of an Alcatraz renewal, over Touch, may be harder than it looks on the surface.  The other big factor is whether FOX wants to set a below 2.0 renewal precedent, for a drama, something I'm fairly sure it has never done in the modern era.

Scandal (ABC, 10pm ET)

6.981 million Overall Viewers
2.1/6 in the 18-49 Demo

Yes, Scandal will probably get adjusted down in the final ratings, but I'm ready to make a prediction of its fate.  I believe Scandal's ratings have stabilized, and that it will be renewed.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget