Thursday, March 22, 2012

TV Ratings Note For Wednesday, March 21, 2012 (Bent)

Bent (NBC, 9pm ET)

2.82 million Overall Viewers (Premiere)
1.0/3 in the 18-49 Demo

2.42 million Overall Viewers (2nd Episode)
0.9/2 in the 18-49 Demo

More like broken is what it is.  You'll see me use the term DOA, when describing the premiere of a TV show, whenever it debuts lower than expected.  I'm inventing a new term (won't put it in my coined terms, since they're so rare) to describe shows that premiere with ratings like these.  This show is cremated.  This show shouldn't realistically get to air any other episodes, because it has nowhere to go but down, and down below a 1.0 on network TV just isn't usually allowed to happen for more than a week (The Firm is an obvious exception, due to the contractual obligation to air all 22).  However, it is only 6 episodes, which means there's at least some possibility it won't get summarily yanked from the schedule early.  I still think it could get yanked, but it might not.  I'm going to go ahead and place this in the canceled pile, even though there has obviously not been an official announcement.

As for the show, I gave it the old college try, watching both episodes before writing this.  To me, it was truly painful to watch most of it, and I just couldn't get into it, at all.  When you're trying to "force" awkwardness, it just makes it, well, awkward.  I will say it was a well cast show, and every character in the show is pretty self assured, almost annoyingly so (even though they almost all have very obvious issues).  However, once you get everyone together, it turns into a big pile of awkwardness, that just doesn't work, at all, to me.  I can't see any potential with the show.  It looks like they have it fully fleshed out, and, to me, it's just not good enough to watch.  I almost turned it off toward the beginning of the second episode, but I did my due diligence and followed through to the end.  That's as much as I am willing to give to the show.  I'm sure this is just another, in what will probably be a long line of New Girl type shows, that are trying to capture the feel of that show, just with different character subsets.  Maybe it's for you, but it's just not for me.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget