Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TV Ratings Notes For Monday February 20, 2012

I just have two things to talk about, today, and the ratings are supplied by TV by the Numbers.

Notable for uh-oh ratings:

Smash (NBC, 10pm ET)

6.47 million Overall Viewers
2.4/9 in the 18-49 Demo

Fans of Smash, the audience is beginning to walk out on this show.  It's getting so bad that I think it might close after its first run.  We'll see if there's any stabilization next week, but, if it continues to fall like this, I think it will not be renewed.  Serialized network TV is just not having a good season, at all, outside of a couple of bright spots (one which may not be so bright after the next episode).  The key number here is 1.9.  If you see any number below that, this show is done.  The show has already lost over 5 million of its premiere viewers, in two weeks.  That's not a good sign.  I always predicted that episode 4 would be Smash's crucial ratings episode, and we'll soon find out how correct that prediction was.

Notable for not so good ratings:

Alcatraz (FOX, 9pm ET)

5.96 million Overall Viewers
1.8/4 in the 18-49 Demo

Unless there is a major recovery for Alcatraz, next week, I think it's time to say goodbye (it has shed about 4 million viewers since its premiere).  I just don't think it will return at such anemic numbers.  I enjoy the show, outside of the dangling carrot syndrome (new TV term?), but fans have already mostly tuned out.  Two of my favorite shows (Lie To Me and Human Target), that FOX canceled last season, had ratings better than these.  It's kind of disappointing, because it's not at all a bad idea for a show.  Does this help Terra Nova's prospects?  It damn well better not!

Last night, we saw two shows that appear to be inching toward cancellation.  I'm less certain of Smash's demise, but its numbers are falling disturbingly rapidly.  Alcatraz is already in "done" territory, so it's more about whether the show can right the ship, before it is canceled.  I'm about ready to predict Alcatraz's demise, and I think I will predict that, next week, unless something radical happens.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget