Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Tuesday Ratings Wrap Up (The River, Body of Proof, Cougar Town, Unforgettable, Parenthood)

The River (ABC, 9pm ET)

4.088 Overall Viewers
1.5/4 in the 18-49 Demo

As much as they keep dragging The River in search of audience members, they can't seem to find many.  It was done when it started, it was done the next week, and it's charred this week.  This won't be back.

Body of Proof (ABC, 10pm ET)

6.749 Overall Viewers
1.3/4 in the 18-49 Demo

I heard they found the Body of Proof they were looking for in The River.  In a few more episodes, this beast of burden on my DVR will be done.  Did anyone notice the re-tool last week?  Jeri Effing Ryan gets demoted, and Curtis gets promoted.  Will they keep this hierarchy?  Did you see that I suggested that exact change LAST year (well, I wanted Jeri Effing Ryan gone, but I got the promotion I wanted)?  This re-tool came about 30 to 37 episodes too late, but at least they changed something.  Matthew Gross, if you're reading this, can you please implement all of my changes before your show goes away?  I'll list them, again, below.  K thx bye.

Excerpted from this blog post:

Body of Proof is a Medical Examiner police procedural.  This show could be something.  I'm not going to lie.  The first episode was basically a third rate Quincy, mostly with a 4th rate cast.  However, the show is so poorly developed that it might be at least one more full season before it actually becomes good.  I'm hoping it will be re-tooled extensively in between the seasons (FIRE JERI RYAN! sorry Jeri Ryan, nothing personal, but your casting and dress just makes zero sense for this show), but I really don't have a lot of hope for that.  It almost seems like ABC just sees a show idea, and then rushes it to air.  How else can anyone explain why nothing seems like it's even been thought out?  I'll list a few of the issues below, and then we can get to the fun part of the blog post.

1. The basic premise behind the show is that Dana Delany's character is a completely unlikable tool, who alienates everyone so much that they all hate her.  However, either they're not writing her this way, or she's not playing it right.  The way she's coming across is just the personality of a driven person, who might be a little prickly.  That's how I see it anyway.  Quincy was basically more of an a-hole than she is, and he was pretty damn likable, in his own way.

2. There is a very confusing character on the show.  Just to confuse you more, I won't even tell you the character's name.  He was portrayed, in the first episode, as kind of being like Quincy's assistant, Sam.  However, we never saw him sit at a microscope, or even do any kind of M.E. type work.  By the next episode, he was acting completely like a cop, even interrogating suspects by himself.  It is imperative that the show figures out how to clearly explain what this character is.

3. Every week, it seemed, one of the two homicide cops was not on the show.  I'm figuring ABC was testing which one would have a more positive audience reaction.  What it ended up looking like was that one cop was investigating every case, which is luuuudicrous.  I also felt they were testing the idea of the subject of number 2, above, becoming a partner to one of the homicide cops.  I think this will be resolved by the start of season 2.

4. There's this thing called Miranda Rights.  This show acts as if they don't exist.

5. The M.E. interrogates suspects, BY HERSELF.

6. The M.E. goes to suspect/witness interviews, and then will accuse the person of committing the crime, in addition to stomping all over the cops' questions.

7. No suspect ever asks for a lawyer, or is even offered a lawyer.

8. The formula has typically been that three suspects are accused of the crime, before the fourth accusation is the actual person.

9. The idea of a Medical Examiner's office being located on higher floors, with windows everywhere, including the autopsy rooms, is horrifying to me.  To think that this is not thought of as weird, is very very weird to me.  High production value does not trump the fact that all of this super gross stuff is going on basically out in the open.

10. The casting is very uneven in the show.  Delany has become better, as the show has progressed, but I think the casting needs to be re-organized significantly, in between the seasons.  Here are my suggestions.

a. FIRE JERI RYAN!
b. Make the Curtis character the Chief M.E. (he is currently the Deputy Chief, I think).
c. Make the confusing character the partner of the Sonja Sohn homicide detective character.
d. Turn the Geoffrey Arend character into the Sam of the show.
e. Get rid of as much of the family b.s. back story, as possible.

This is one of the few times that I recommend shrinking a cast, but it needs to be done, in my opinion.

Today's suggestion:

Please drop all of the romantic relationship b.s. immediately!  I hate that literally more than any other thing about the show.

Cougar Town (ABC, 8:30pm ET)

4.296 million Overall Viewers
1.5/4 in the 18-49 Demo

Stick a fork in it.

Unforgettable (CBS, 10pm ET)

9.931 million Overall Viewers
1.9/5 in the 18-49 Demo

Trust me when I tell you that no one will have any problem forgetting this show, once it's gone, at the end of the season.

Parenthood (NBC, 10pm ET)

5.134 million Overall Viewers
1.9/5 in the 18-49 Demo

I'm too timid to make a full prediction, but, Parenthood fans, I think your show might be headed toward renewal, if it can hold these numbers.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget