Monday, September 26, 2011

A Word About The 2011 Fall Season Openings (Sunday, September 25, 2011 Premieres)

There's not much to talk about here, because only one new scripted TV series premiered, and only one TV series appeared to not live up to its usual ratings success.  I'm going to link to the TV by the Numbers article about the ratings, and give a few brief thoughts, below.  Is this the end of the first week, or the beginning of the second week?  I don't know, but I sure hope I can get through the stuff I still haven't finished watching from last week, before the DVR becomes full again.

TV by the Numbers ratings article for Sunday, September 25, 2011

Notable for good ratings:

Pan Am (ABC)

10.85 million Overall Viewers (half hours averaged)
3.1/8 in the 18-49 demo

I still have no plans to watch this series, but in the battle of period TV dramas, Pan Am won in a landslide.  NBC's The Playboy Club can officially start counting its days until it's back on the unemployment lines (a familiar place for me).  These are excellent 18-49 ratings, even for ABC, and the nearly 11 million overall viewers puts this series off to a flying start (get it? flying start...ha ha).

We'll see how the ratings hold up next week, for what appears (at face value) to be a very expensive series.  ABC and Pan Am fans still should be feeling pretty good about right now, regardless of what happens next week.  Maybe the airline will actually even get back in business, if the series continues to be successful.  I even just coined a new TV term, when thinking about that possibility...Product Makement.  I'll add it to my list of TV words and terms I have coined, and explain it there.  You can check out the full list of TV words and terms I have coined, here:

New TV Words And Terms I Have Coined

Notable for not so good ratings:

Desperate Housewives (ABC)

9.75 million Overall Viewers (half hours averaged)
3.1/7 in the 18-49 demo

Well, it looks like the Desperate Housewives train may finally be rolling to a stop.  These ratings are down significantly from last season's premiere, and this series probably needs to be in the 3.1, or higher, range, in the 18-49 demo, with at least 11 million overall viewers to survive.  Due to how long it's been on the air, it's very likely it is extremely expensive to produce, and those ratings better climb on up, if it hopes to receive another season.

I don't watch anything, other than football, on Sunday nights, so I have no idea whether these ratings would be considered great against its competition.  Tonight, Terra Nova premieres, and 2 Broke Girls moves to its normal time slot.  Tomorrow's piece about the ratings should be very educational.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget