Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Word About the 2011 Fall Season Openings (Friday, September 23, 2011 Premieres)

You've almost made it through a week of these things, if you've been willing to torture yourself with them.  They're really dry, as they're almost all about my initial predictions and watch lists for the season.  In May, or sooner, for many of the shows, it will be fun to find out how correct my initial predictions were.  There's not much to write about here, because Friday nights are the TV wasteland where shows typically go to die.  CBS is an exception, but I think most of the viewers of that network probably fall asleep without turning off their TVs, before the end of prime time programing.  I'm pretty sure you could get 6 million viewers for a TV test pattern on CBS on Friday nights.  Here's the link to the TV by the Numbers article about ratings, and I'll get started below it.

TV by the Numbers ratings article for Friday September 23, 2011

Notable for good ratings:

A Gifted Man (CBS)

9.31 million Overall Viewers
1.4/5 in the 18-49 demo

I don't even think I saw one promo for this during any of the football games I've seen on CBS.  I remember the trailer making this show look like a snooze fest.  Hey, that ties in perfectly with what I said about the CBS viewers, right????  These ratings are very solid for a Friday night show, and if it even remotely maintains these numbers, I would think it's a lock to return for a second season.  I think they'd like a 1.5 with about 10 million viewers, but CBS will take this, for now.  I seriously doubt anything has performed this well, in this time slot, in recent memory.

Blue Bloods (CBS)

11.85 million Overall Viewers
2.0/6 in the 18-49 demo

These numbers are supposedly down a little in the 18-49 demo from the series premiere, last season, but I seem to remember this series having a hard time hitting a 2.0 by the end of last season.  Come on, people, this is Friday night, the bar is low.

Notable for not so good ratings:

Fringe (FOX)

3.53 million Overall Viewers
1.5/5 in the 18-49 demo

Fringe fans, I think that's it, for this series.  I'm pretty sure all FOX is trying to do is get it to the magical 88 episode number, for syndication, which it will do this season.  These ratings are up slightly from last season's finale, but this is, bar none, the lowest rated scripted TV show on FOX.  I'm especially angry about this quote from FOX PR, from TV by the Numbers, "Fox PR notes that Fringe was up 67% from the Friday fall premiere of The Good Guys a year ago."  To that PR person, I say F-UUUUUUUUUUUUU!

There's nothing else to talk about, so unless I'm mistaken, that's a wrap for this week's season premieres, since nobody even tries on Saturday nights, anymore.  The countdown is on for the Monday night premiere of Terra Nova.  You can say for certain that I can't wait to see the numbers for this premiere.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget