Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Word About The 2011 Fall Season Openings (Monday, September 19, 2011 Premieres)

Below is a link to an article for the ratings for last night's premieres.  It's pretty informative, but at the same time, doesn't tell us much.  Just like I said, last week (that you didn't read), everyone's excited about the new stuff, and wants to see if it's any good.  The second week of every TV series (new or old) is what we need to be paying attention to.

TV by the Numbers Article About Ratings

I don't normally link to articles, but it will help to get us thinking about what's going to happen this season.  Below, I'll list the things that I think are very notable, and ignore the rest.

Notable for good ratings:

Two and a Half Men (CBS)

27.76 million Overall Viewers
10.3/24 in the 18-49 demo (the 24 number supposedly that means nearly 1 out of every 4 TV sets were tuned to this episode)

2 Broke Girls (CBS)

19.15 million Overall Viewers
7.0/16 in the 18-49 demo

Castle (ABC)

13.60 million Overall Viewers
3.3/8  in the 18-49 demo

How I Met Your Mother (CBS)

11.75 million Overall Viewers (average of both episodes)
4.9/13  in the 18-49 demo

Notable for not good ratings:

The Playboy Club (NBC)

5.01 million Overall Viewers
1.6/4 in the 18-49 demo

Obviously, everyone (who was interested) wanted to see the freak show that is Two and a Half Men.  I saw some early buzz that said it was very bad, but I have zero interest in that series, so I don't know for sure.  What is not in question is that those ratings are astounding, and it is extra special to note.  For there to be nearly 1 out of every 4 TVs, tuned to this episode, is nothing short of amazing. 

2 Broke Girls is likely to be a casualty of an amazing lead in, but its numbers are so high, that if people even think it is remotely decent, it will still obtain very high ratings.  I watched this episode, after hemming and hawing for weeks, and I don't even know what I could write about it.  My headline would probably be "2 Broke Girls Is A Great Sitcom On Paper".  The episode was shot well (directed by James Burrows of Cheers fame), edited well, and written well.  However, I didn't laugh once (maybe chuckled slightly twice).  The jokes were written funny, but must have been delivered in such a way that they weren't funny.  I don't even know how you fix this problem.  If this is what Whitney (NBC) has in store for us, that series will be canceled very quickly.  I'll watch the second episode of this series, but it has zero potential to improve.  Everything is so tight, and yet it's not funny (to me).  I don't know how to fix this.  The actors are kind of good, so how do you fix this?  Am I too old to enjoy a show like this?  I don't know.

I have never seen Castle, but this series always did very well vs. Hawaii Five-O (which I watch).  It had never performed particularly well in the 18-49 demo, so that's why this is notable.  A 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demo is excellent for a series like this (after it's dropped most of its lead in from DWTS).  ABC must be ecstatic. 

How I Met Your Mother way outperformed the season finale from last season.  I don't watch this series, so I can't tell you whether that's a good thing.  No matter what, people are interested in this season (or at least the season premiere).  That's why I noted it.

As for The Playboy Club, can anyone really say they're surprised?  These ratings are on par with last season's average ratings for LOLa (remember, LOLa started out very high, and dropped significantly, but this series is starting out low), so I am already going to start the death watch for this series.  Keep an eye out for Pan Am (ABC, Sunday night), to see if it suffers the same fate as The Playboy Club.  When I watched the trailer for The Playboy Club, it didn't even remotely interest me.  I wasn't interested in Pan Am, either, but it looked like it was going to be done much better than The Playboy Club.

Those are a few of the things I found to be interesting about the first "real" night of the 2011 TV season.  If I can get a few likes on what I've just written, below, I might end up doing this sort of thing for every night, for as long as the TV season premieres are going.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget