Wednesday, August 17, 2011

HAWTHORNE: The (Season) Finale Final Scene

Spoilers lie ahead.  Do not read further if you do not want to know what happened in this sub par season finale's (even lower than usual) final scene.

As stated above, this is only going to be about the final scene, because, and I'm not lying, it is the only "interesting" scene in the entire episode.  They only make us wait 55 minutes to find out the "shocking" turn of events.  If you want to watch the show from 48 minutes (Tom driving up to Christina's house) to the end, it can feel longer, but that scene is really only more of a MacGuffin to put Tom in the general area, for whatever reasons the Producers/Writers/Network decided.

In the scene prior to the final scene, Tom arrived at Christina's house in a Volvo SUV Crossover.  No, I'm not giving a shout out to that car, I'm just letting you know, in advance, what an important role it apparently plays at the end of the episode.  Tom knocks on the door, and proceeds to go in and pour his heart out to Christina about how he wanted to take responsibility for his part in the destruction of their marriage.  Add an L to what sheep say three times (say it out loud and you'll get it), and you will get what I thought of that scene.

After the scene is done, Tom leaves, and it goes to commercial.  Since I said that was just a MacGuffin to put Tom in the area, let's now move to the final scene.  Upon returning from commercial, Nick drives up, and gets out of his car.  Tom is on his way to his car, when he notices Nick.  They proceed to stare at each other like two cats in heat, and rip their clothes off (I'll let you determine which parts of this are real).  Once they're done with their loving embrace, Nick goes to the front door, and knocks on it.  Tom presumably puts his clothes back on and gets in his Volvo.  Christina obviously thinks that Tom has decided to stay, and goes to answer the door.  The music changes to quasi-horror score, and she opens the door to find Nick looking disheveled.

Then, in a scene that probably closely resembled the J-Lo/Anthony divorce in real life, Nick just walks into Christina's house, while she asks him if he is okay multiple times (without response), and closes the door behind himself.  It is at this point that a scared looking Christina says to Nick that his partner had been looking for him, and for Nick to call him.  Nick tells Christina to sit down, which she timidly agrees to.  Once they have sat down, Nick pulls out his gun, and places it on the table.  He asks her if she's scared of him (I'm scared of him, and I'm just an audience member).  She doesn't answer him, but looks as if she is about to cry.  He then proceeds to babble on (while pointing his gun into his chest) about how they're always in here (pointing the gun into his chest).  Not much of what he says makes any sense, other than to basically say that she owns his soul or something.  He then proceeds to say, "I'll let myself out."  He then lets himself out.  It was truly an awkward scene, and didn't really make much sense.

Christina then looks relieved, and hurriedly locks the door to her house.  About 10 seconds later, we hear a gun shot.  Christina ducks, and then after about another 5 or 10 seconds she feels it is safe to look outside.  Upon looking outside, we see the very fast image of a car driving off (with a longer sound), and see that Nick is slumped over his steering wheel.  Christina runs out to the car, and inexplicably yanks Nick out of the car and puts him on the ground, while he is bleeding from his chest.  She proceeds to apply a little bit of pressure to his wound, pulls him face up into her lap, and begins screaming for help, after which the camera zooms out into a long shot, and then goes to credits.  The only thing missing was a huge echo on her voice screaming for help.  You can bet if I did the mix for a show like this, I would have put a HUGE echo on the voice, I mean HUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

So, that's what happened as our cliffhanger for the season.  There are some things that I'd like to talk about now that I think are pretty important.  At this time, I am happy to say that I can reveal who the winner of my poll was.  Karra (my wife), correctly chose that Nick would die.  I had secretly decided that the correct answer to my poll would receive my undying love, forever, so it's a good thing for me she chose wisely.

The way the whole final scene played out was really strange.  Nick walking in and rambling on the way he was is more indicative of how a murder/suicide would go down.  Him walking out of the house, looking defeated was just weird and hollow.  But, again, what about this series is not weird and hollow?  I speculate that TNT forced a slight re-write to the last scene, since the Nick pouring his heart out scene made no sense.  Here's the basic writing of the scene, and what I think was edited out of the script.  Obviously, editing this out would mean that they would need to put a few more angles into the ending of the show.  At the end of this whole description of presumed scenarios, I will tell you which one I think is the most likely.

Dialog that appeared in the show that I can't remember, so I'll just make up my own that's kind of similar:


Nick: Mumble Mumble Mumble
Nick: We're in here (pointing gun at his heart), we'll always be in here.
Nick: Ramble Ramble Ramble
Christina looks confused
Nick: I'll let myself out.
Nick: It was always you.  It was always you.  
Christina looks confused
Nick: Always...

Dialog as originally intended, based on what I wrote above:

Nick: Mumble Mumble Mumble
Nick: We're in here (pointing gun at his heart), we'll always be in here.
Nick: Ramble Ramble Ramble
Christina looks confused
Nick: I'll let myself out. 
Nick: It was always you.  It was always you.
Christina looks confused
Nick shoots Christina
Nick: Always...
Nick shoots himself
Fade to black with long shot zooming away from Christina and Nick's faces

Yes, I am saying that with the loss of two off screen directions, the whole scene could be re-written into a rambling, mumbling mess that didn't even need to happen.  So, my feeling is that the scene was originally intended to be a murder/suicide, but ended up as nothing, because TNT hadn't made the cancellation decision.

However, as it ends up, it appears that Nick goes outside and is killed (due to the speeding off car).  However, I speculate that he actually killed himself.  The reason I say that is that he is killed by being shot in the chest.  When Christina looks outside, he is clearly slumped over the steering wheel.  The question that is simple to ask is how a man could get shot in the chest, while sitting behind the wheel of a car?  The answer is that he shot himself in the chest, as was foreshadowed in the previous portion of the scene.

However, the makers of the show decided to throw a curveball.  They decided to have a car speed off.  Now, with all of the idiotic craziness on this show, there are only about a dozen potential suspects in his "murder".  I watched this scene frame by frame, several times, and it was nearly 100 percent clear to me that the car that speeds off is a Volvo SUV Crossover, due to the unique shape of the tail lights.  Whether this was supposed to be noticed is something that will have to be determined next season, if there is a next season.

So, as you can probably determine, I think it's pretty clear cut that Nick killed himself.  Maybe Tom was going to confront him, saw Nick kill himself, and got the eff out of there.  However, maybe red ring weirdo dude did it.  I think it's a shame that they didn't do the murder/suicide, because I really don't want this show to come back.  It's an embarrassment to embarrassments.  I was going to make polls, but I don't think they're appropriate, because the polls would be too spoiler filled.  So, you'll just have to give me any thoughts you have about this in the comments section.  I can't believe this post became this long.  I'm sorry.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget