Sunday, July 31, 2011

What I'm Watching Now #4 (July 31, 2011 Edition)

I thought last week's edition of this feature would be the last one, based on the response to the previous editions.  However, I was wrong.  The last edition proved to be the most popular post I've had in several weeks.  To that I say: "LOL".  So, this will now officially become a standard staple of every week, and I hope you don't regret it.  I think for this and future editions I will start rating each individual episode (in addition to the series as a whole), so that you can decide if you want to watch that week's episode, independent of the series, as a whole.  I'll also let you know if it's important to watch the episode, due to story arc things that may be important, for the show.  Back by popular demand, here is this week's edition of "What I'm Watching Now".

Ratings Legend:

*Don't waste your time
**Some people may like it, but overall, it's not going to change your life if you watch it or miss it.  Shows between 2 stars and 3 stars are on the line of watchable.
***Solid, watchable show.  If I give something 3 stars, I think you can safely watch it, and usually enjoy it.
****You should definitely watch this show, at least once.
*****Why are you not watching this show?

Mondays:

Alphas (Syfy, Check local listings)****
Most recent episode rating-****

I read in an article somewhere that there is an actual definition for how this show is progressing.  It had nothing to do with the show, but I feel it's appropriate enough to mention.  Each episode in this series has basically been a "Monster of the Week".  I think there's a bigger purpose for all of these "monsters", and the episodes are just introducing the characters, while the "sides" are being drawn.  Last week's episode was "Pheromone Man" (my name for him), and it had a lot of trippy scenes in it.  I do not know how sober the writers of this show are, in general, but this week's episode appeared to have a little extra "help".

For all the Bill haters out there, he proved his worth in this show, and hopefully people will stop questioning the point of his character, on the show.  I'm going to predict, right now, that this show is going to suck, eventually.  However, while the sides are being drawn, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The Closer (TNT, 9pm EDT)****
Most recent episode rating-***.5

Last week's episode highlighted one of the major problems I have with the series.  The Closer just does not take itself seriously enough.  Our two resident boobs, Provenza and Flynn, get into a "situation", while moonlighting without permission.  This is not the first time these two idiots get into trouble, doing something they shouldn't.  The episode has a tremendous amount of comedy in it, and that's where this series gets in trouble.  This is supposed to be a very serious show, with strokes of humor, but any time Provenza and Flynn have a show dedicated to them, it turns into the Keystone Cops.  Still, as an episode, in general, I enjoyed it, but the series really should stay away from episodes like this.  Also, the idea that these two guys are Lieutenants is really scary.

Rizzoli & Isles (TNT, 10pm EDT)****
Most recent episode rating-****.5

I am so mad! I am officially converted to enjoying this show!  HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?????  It has Angie Harmon on it!  I have never liked her in anything she has ever done!!!!  I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch her!!!!

Angie Harmon (if you're avoiding this show because of her, stop, it's worth watching) is actually kind of funny on the show, and the last episode had a lot of humor in it.  Isles proves, once again, that she has absolutely terrible taste in men, and much comedy ensues from her romantic interlude with a guy who is 3 lug nuts short of a tight wheel.  Make no mistake, Rizzoli & Isles is a relationship show, with the case aspect playing a distant second to the relationships.  For those paying attention, this is why the show works, not because of the cases.

The Big C (Showtime, 10:30pm EDT)***.5
Most recent episode rating-***

I'm going to go ahead and downgrade The Big C to 3.5 stars, because I don't think it's ever going to return to how great the show was in the best episodes of the first season.  It's possible it will, but I just have no emotional attachment to any of the characters anymore.  Now, it's just kind of like watching Nurse Jackie, where you just watch, but it's not like you really like anyone, or are interested in their stories.  Maybe the edict from Showtime was to make it more like Nurse Jackie, I don't know, but it was a mistake.  There are too many weird story lines on the show, now, and if you started watching the show only in season 2, you would probably think it's a piece of crap.  This show better thank its lucky stars that it's only a half hour, or even fewer (than the almost no one that watches the show) would be watching. 

Tuesdays: 

Memphis Beat (TNT, 9pm EDT)***
Most recent episode rating-***

This week's episode was pretty good, but nothing special.  Keep calm, and carry on.

HawthoRNe (TNT, 10pm EDT)**
Most recent episode rating-*.5

Oh there was so much to hate about this episode.  At the beginning, we get multiple people telling each other that they love each other.  If you have seen the show, you know all that's b.s., and that by the end of the episode, the truth will come out.  I have never had to suspend my disbelief more in a standard TV drama than in this show.  Everything about this show is patently ridiculous, and you'll love the doctor threatening a cop with a gun to his head, at the end of the show.  I can't think of any more ill advised plans than that.  This is especially true because the cop is a psycho creep, who will probably end up killing Christina, or himself, before the end of the season.  Only two episodes are left, and then my life can return to normal.  I'm warning you, don't watch this show, because you won't be able to stop.  Why live your life with regrets?

Wednesdays:

Franklin & Bash (TNT, 9pm EDT)****
Most recent episode-****

We thought that Janie's fiance was going to be sent up the river for solicitation, but we all know that's not what happened.  It was just a big misunderstanding, and Janie can still safely marry him (or can she?).  This week's episode was actually interesting, because they did something a little different.  This week, they decided to employ three story lines, which is outside of how the show has operated previously.  The three story lines were Janie's fiance (Bash story line), the teacher's "relationship" with the student (Franklin story line), and the Carp profile.  It appears that the writers/producers/etc. are trying to make Carp more of an integral part of the show.  Hey, where's Hanna Linden?  Has it been two episodes since we've seen her?  If she's out, re-tooling has never been more subtle.  The season's almost over, and I guess I'll just be crying myself to sleep every night, instead, when the show goes away.

Necessary Roughness (USA, 10pm EDT)**.5
Most recent episode rating-**

I have officially downgraded the watchability of Necessary Roughness.  This show has a few things worth watching on it (Callie Thorne and the Nico character are about it, these days), but it's just nothing special, and the episodes have gotten progressively more boring.  If you miss it, you aren't missing much, and if you're watching it, you're not seeing much.  I'll probably stick with the show, but there have only been a handful of series that I start watching and give up on mid season (I usually give up after the second episode if I don't see potential).  The last one was Covert Affairs, but Necessary Roughness could definitely suffer the same fate, if it doesn't start getting better, SOON.

State of Georgia (ABC Family, 8:30pm EDT)**
Most recent episode rating-*

Wow, that last episode was terrible.  I have to downgrade the series, as a whole, solely because of that episode.  I'm pretty sure it was out of order, and may have been the second episode in the series, because the show just didn't have any of the same things going on that have gone on in the past several episodes.  Next week, ABC Family will be showing you "2 straight hours of new episodes of State of Georgia!!!!"  That's the equivalent of burning off the rest of the episodes, from what I can tell.  This show is a turkey, and not even Raven, or Loretta Devine, could save this show from itself.  The show has terrible ratings, and I find it hard to believe ABC Family isn't canceling it after this week's 2 hour block, and is just planning on showing back to back episodes of Melissa & Joey, from now on.  I'll say it now, "Goodbye, State of Georgia, at least you didn't waste too much of my time."  And, Raven, even though this series was a disaster, I still got mad love for ya.

Thursdays:

Burn Notice (USA, 9pm EDT)*****
Most recent episode rating-*****

Why aren't you watching this show, DAMMIT!!!!!!!??????

Suits (USA, 10pm EDT)****
Most recent episode rating-****

Things are getting more and more complicated for Mike Ross.  Another person is in on at least part of his secret (the secret of him taking LSATs for others).  This story line threatens to play out, in a bad way, but the series is remarkable for its ability to get out of any trouble it gets itself in, quickly and easily.  Never believe a promo is the best advice I can give you, for this show.  It's a fun show, and if you're not watching it, what are you waiting for?

Extra Credit:

Damages (Netflix, iTunes, DirecTV)****

Well, we've finished up season 1 and 2 on Netflix instant streaming.  I thought I would be cool with not being able to see season 3, but I'm a little bummed I can't continue on, right now.  The show is done in a really interesting style, and it is gripping from episode to episode.  It demands a lot of attention, but this show is definitely worth your while to check out on Netflix, if you have an instant streaming account.  I have no idea when season 3 will show up on instant streaming, but you can bet when it does, that I'll lose a whole weekend to it.

That's it, for this week, and I hope you enjoyed what I had to say about what I'm watching now.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget