Sunday, July 24, 2011

What I'm Watching Now #3 (July 24, 2011 Edition)

Well, this looks like it's going to be the last edition of "What I'm Watching Now".  I haven't been getting any clicks on this feature, so unless I get a bunch of likes at the bottom (a bunch, for me, is like three or something), this feature will go away.  For this edition, I've decided to start a ratings system, even though this may be the last edition of the feature.  For the ratings system, I will give my opinion of how watchable I think each show is.  I won't comment on how good I think the show is, unless I think it's kind of special.  I hope you enjoy this potentially final edition of "What I'm Watching Now".

Ratings Legend:

*Don't waste your time
**Some people may like it, but overall, it's not going to change your life if you watch it or miss it.  Shows between 2 stars and 3 stars are on the line of watchable.
***Solid, watchable show.  If I give something 3 stars, I think you can safely watch it, and usually enjoy it.
****You should definitely watch this show, at least once.
*****Why are you not watching this show?

Mondays:

Alphas (Syfy, check local listings)****

I really enjoy this show, and hope you get a chance to check it out.  There's a fun spirit behind the show, and I hope that continues on in the future episodes.  I'm also pleased with the amount of thinking that goes into this show.  It's crafted very well, for a cable show, and since I'm not a genre nut, for this stuff, I'm not bothered if it is derivative of other stuff.

The Closer (TNT, 9pm EDT)****

Big shake ups are coming in the last season of The Closer.  Stay tuned to find out what happens, and how Brenda will make her exit from Major Crimes.

Rizzoli & Isles (TNT, 10pm EDT)***

This isn't a bad TV show, at all, and Angie Harmon doesn't even annoy me in the show.  Trust me, that's a major accomplishment, for her.  It's possible the show was cast around Harmon's shortcomings, since it's filled with solid, humorous character actors from TV shows.  The Isles character is probably the best character on the show, and a lot of the humor comes from the interactions between her and Rizzoli.

The Big C (Showtime, 10:30pm EDT)

Season 1****.5
Season 2 **

Last week's episode got back on track, and I would give it a 3.5 star rating, but it just doesn't change the fact that this show is a train wreck, in season 2.  Based on the promo for next week's episode, we are likely to go back to the same stuff that has made me so mad, about the show.  It got a reprieve, with last week's episode, but I still may not continue with the show, if it's like the first 3 episodes of the second season.

Tuesdays:

Memphis Beat (TNT, 9pm EDT)***

Last week's episode was the first one I truly enjoyed.  I LOVED the scenes with Lt. Rice (Alfre Woodard) and her mother (Leslie Uggams).  This show is at its best when it is highlighting the characters, and not the cases.  There are a bunch of fun, quirky characters in this show, and it's kind of amazing that Jason Lee is the straight man, when you think about what kind of parts he usually plays.  If the show continues like the last episode, I might bump this up to 3.5 stars.

HawthoRNe (TNT, 10pm EDT)**

If you watch this show once, it's likely you will watch it again.  You won't be watching it because you like it, you will be watching it because they did something in the show that will make you want to find out what happens.  Be wary of checking this show out, because you may not ever stop watching one of the most over the top dramas, I have ever seen.

Wednesdays:

Franklin & Bash (TNT, 9pm EDT)****

This is probably my favorite summer show, and I just can't understand why you're not watching, if you're not.  It's such an entertaining show, and in some ways, it kind of reminds me of the really old Looney Tunes cartoons.  It's often just a wacky TV show, and it's never wacky in a bad way.  I can't recommend this show enough, if you like smart ass humor.

Necessary Roughness (USA, 10pm EDT)***

*Yawn* is the word I would use to describe this show.  It's a decent show, but it's not improving, for me, it's getting worse.  I think this show is close to getting 2.5 stars, but I'm leaving it at 3 stars, based on the potential.  In last week's episode, I thoroughly enjoyed the "Boos" story line, which made up for what was a really boring episode.  Hard Callie Thorne is always better than soft Callie Thorne, and the writers should think about how to balance her two sides a little better.  I only want soft Callie in scenes like the ones with "Boos".

State of Georgia (ABC Family, 8:30pm EDT)**.5

As I've said before, the ONLY reasons to watch this show are Loretta Devine and Raven.  If they weren't on the show, I would give this show 1 star.  The goofy sidekick fills the show out, okay, but, really, it comes down to Devine and Raven.  Devine will give you one big belly laugh, per episode (worth watching the show just for the insane things she says), and Raven elevates the crappy writing material with her brilliant facial expressions.  Raven uses her face almost like a cartoon character, when it comes to expressions, and her facial expressions crack me up, frequently.  This show is surely going to get canceled, unless ABC Family Channel hates money.

Thursdays:

Burn Notice (USA, 9pm EDT)*****

Well, this show has really found its formula.  Have a little case, and then book end it with the spy story line.  For now, they're kind of sprinkling the spy story line in, throughout the episodes, but you get my point.  This week's episode didn't even have one funny line in it, but that's okay.  It's still one of my favorite shows on TV.

Suits (USA, 10pm EDT)****

Watch out, it's starting to look like Harvey isn't so one dimensional, after all.   My only advice to you about this show is to never believe a promo.  They're not going to pay off the fake lawyer story line, as far as I can tell.  For two straight promos, it looked like Mike Ross would be exposed, and there wasn't even a hint of him being exposed, in the final version of the show.  They are using the same idea in next week's promo, and I'm not going to fall for it.  USA is marketing this show really poorly, and the marketing takes away from how good this show really is.  In the promo for last week's episode, they even used a line that wasn't even in the final cut of the show.  Shame on someone for that.  You should definitely be checking this show out.

Saturdays:

CHAOS (CBS, 8pm EDT)****

Last week's episode was the best in the series, and as I've said a bunch of times, that's the best tone for the show.  It doesn't really matter, as I think last night's episode was the last in the series.  Goodbye CHAOS.  Even though you never found an audience, and had a really hard time figuring out who you really were, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.  On another network, or even another time slot, this show could have been something.  The ODS has now been shelved, due to budget cuts.

If you don't want this to be the last edition of "What I'm Watching Now", just click "like", below, and I'll think about continuing on with what is presently a failed feature.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! You're becoming a Memphis Beat convert. I think there may be a blog in drawing comparisons to The Andy Griffith Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true Chris, I am becoming a convert. It's been about 10 years since I watched The Andy Griffith Show, so I'd have to finish this season of Memphis Beat, and then go back and watch some of that show, to do something hopefully worth reading. I definitely see some comparisons to be made, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget