Friday, July 15, 2011

What I'm Watching Now #2 (July 15, 2011 Edition)

Back by popular (lack of) demand is the second installment of "What I'm Watching Now".  I'm still finding my way with this feature, so bear with me while I work out how I want this to go.  Hopefully it will be a pretty fun read in the not too distant future.  On to the shows!

Mondays:

Alphas (Syfy, Check Local Listings)

Alphas is a brand new show on SyFy Channel.  I think the best description is that it is The Dream Team meets Heroes meets X-Men.  I never watched Heroes, so I can't begin to speculate on how derivative it is of that show.  I know that the basic theme of the show has been tapped in many different movies and TV shows, but I don't think I've seen it executed quite this way.  It's kind of a comedy, and it's kind of a thriller.  It has a lot of sci-fi elements, and a lot of humorous elements.  The characters are all pretty fun, and the show is a very entertaining watch.  The show might have significant growing pains, as it finds what it is really about, but it shouldn't be a waste of time getting there.  I think it is well worth your time, even if you don't enjoy the derivative parts of it.  After all, the protagonists get around in a minivan.  How can you not love that?  If you would like more in depth information about this show, you can check out my blog post about it.

Law & Order: Los Angeles (NBC, Stick A Fork In It)

This week's episode ended the very short era of LOLa.  There wasn't any sense of closure, because it was just the last episode of the burn off episodes from before the show was re-tooled.  The episode was pretty condeluded, and relatively stupid, once again.  The series started out terribly, and went out with a whimper, while there were several excellent episodes in the brief run.  We'll never know what this show could have been, because it wasn't really given a chance.  We'll never know whose fault that was, but it's the way of the world.  If your show isn't very good, doesn't have ratings, and costs a lot of money, make out a will.  SVU, you are on the clock.  I predict you will be gone after next season.  Goodbye Law & Order, it's been a fun ride, but it's time to bury you, and move on to the next generation of the police procedural.

The Big C (Showtime, 10:30pm EDT)

I am at my wit's end with this show.  The first season, for the most part, was spectacular.  The second season has been specular, as well, spectacular in the terrible sense.  Last week's episode was all about sex.  Not a scene went by where sexual activity wasn't on screen or talked about.  If this show doesn't get back on track in the next two episodes, I'm done with it.  I just don't care about any of the characters, anymore, and if it continues on this path, it's just a gimmick.  It's already lost almost every part of the spirit it had in the first season, and that's a huge shame.

Tuesdays:

Memphis Beat (TNT, 9pm EDT)

The show is still spectacularly unspectacular, but here I am still watching it.  I'm very convinced this is very much like a partnership duo show.  I had described that genre of police procedural as being obsolete, and this show makes it very obvious why the genre died.  Still, it's watchable, and I enjoy many of the actors on the show, and I suppose that's why I still watch it.  There are always a few nuggets of humor that give this show a little extra edge.  Of course, Jason Lee's lip synching nullifies those nuggets.  Hallelujah for fast forward on a DVR!

HawthoRNe (TNT, 10pm EDT)

This show, in my opinion, coined the term hyperdrama, and it does not disappoint.  Wait a minute, it always disappoints.  Yet, I'm watching it, because of the ANNOYING cliffhangers.  This week, we thought we would get the resolution of the big story line, but we were left with many other unanswered questions.  In the spirit of this show, I'm sure they'll leave the questions unanswered, just to make us continue watching, in hopes of answers we'll probably never receive.  Here's an example of the problem with HawthoRNe.  Something like what I'm about to describe happens every week.  Remember, if you've been watching the show, Christina Hawthorne was pregnant, and lost her baby during a vicious beating.  In that episode, she was told the baby would be fine.  Then, later in the same episode, the baby died.  In this week's episode, she was told by her Dr. friend that she still can have a baby, and that she should get ta tryin'.  Later in the episode, she is told she can't have a baby.  What is with this show?  It flip flops more than those shoes people wear at the beach.  Manipulation and hyperdrama are this show's "skills".  If it weren't for Jada, would anyone watch this show?

Wednesdays:

Franklin & Bash (TNT, 9pm EDT)

The show is still extremely solid.  We even got a little "skill" reveal on our heroes, this week.  They were forced into arguing against each other, on the same case, and it leads to an exhibiting of each of the main characters' flaws.  Petty and childish are the words I would use.  If you're not watching this show, like smart ass comedy, and enjoy just an overall fun experience, you are doing yourself a disservice if you are not watching this show.

Necessary Roughness (USA, 10pm EDT)

Our protagonist, Dani Santino, has major issues.  When it's not dealing with her work life, it's dealing with her home life.  No one in her life wants to do what she says, professionally or personally, even though it's clear she knows what's best for everyone involved.  Quite honestly, this show just isn't that great.  It's watchable, but if true healing doesn't start to happen soon, for the major characters in this show, it will get old really quickly.  We better start seeing some of that healing in the next two weeks, or this show will be getting out a shovel, to begin digging its own grave.

State of Georgia (ABC Family, 8:30pm EDT)

There is no doubt in my mind that Loretta Devine is the best thing about this show.  Raven is Raven, and will always make a show watchable, but Devine steals nearly every scene she's in.  The stories in the show are still lame, but I did get a bunch more laughs this week.  I'm still watching, but only for Devine and Raven.  I can't imagine this show gets another season, unless it starts getting a lot better.  Time will tell, but love up on Devine and Raven, while you can, because you probably won't see them around this much, any time soon, if this show doesn't continue.

Thursdays:

Burn Notice (USA, 9pm EDT)

Buckle up, things are about to get interesting.  There was a major plot development in the spy story line.  It appears that everything was not what it seemed, after all, for Michael Westen.  I kind of suspected that all along.  It appears the spy game just wants to know what he knows.  Stay tuned, things are about to get a lot more spy heavy.

Suits (USA, 10pm EDT)

This show is a fun watch.  I thought we were going to have Mike Ross's fake lawyer problem pay off this week.  However, nothing like that happened.  It also kind of seemed like this episode was out of order, due to a story arc issue with Rachel.  Based on the promo for next week's episode, you might want to prepare yourself for the possibility that next week's episode is also out of order.  The fake lawyer thing needs to get addressed.  Send Mike to law school, and just make this a real show.  The gimmick isn't even really necessary, anymore.  I guess we'll just wait and see how long it takes to get him into law school.  That's the natural place he'll go.  However, with this series, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just ends up getting a fake law degree, due to some blackmail element, passes the bar exam, and life continues like normal, or something.  The writing is sharp on the show, and the performances are uniformly good.  It's worth a look, if you ever don't have anything to do on a Thursday night.

Saturdays:

CHAOS (CBS, 8pm EDT)

I'm not sure how many episodes are left, but we are getting pretty close to sticking a fork in this show.  The out of order Olympics continue, and this would have really hurt the show, if it hadn't actually been canceled after three episodes.  No one's really watching it, and the people who like the show already understand all of this.  Time is running out for you to check the show out.  I'll be glad when it's over, so I can stop devoting blog space to the show.  It gets old saying, "Watch the show, it's good."

Eventually I may shorten this feature into one line, or situation, from each show, to sum it up.  I just haven't decided yet.  Hopefully this feature will make you want to check out some of the above shows.  Feel free to let me know if it does.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget